Procurement company increases management spend contract to over £170m per annum across UK and Northern Europe
London, UK– 1 December 2009: 4C Associates, a CIPS prize-winning procurement solutions company, today announces the expansion of its procurement services contract with United Biscuits, expanding its total spend management for the company to over £170m per annum. This represents a significant increase of 171% since the start of the relationship in February 2009.
4C was awarded the contract expansion against another provider in a competitive pitch. The deal incorporates outsourced procurement services for all UK non-core categories (such as IT, Telecomms, HR and Professional Services) and Logistics for UK and Northern Europe, an expansion of both services from the previous contract.
“We decided to review our procurement contracts in the face of continued cost challenges in today’s climate and to ensure that we had a good platform to increase our market share in a highly competitive market,” said Kevin McGurk, Operations Services Director, United Biscuits. “4C is a great cultural fit with United Biscuits, and has the category expertise to support our future plans. We’re looking forward to working with them to ensure sustainable cost reductions whilst simultaneously improving our service levels. It is increasingly important for us to invest in our relationships with suppliers, whilst ensuring that we can also achieve fiscal savings.”
“This is another prestigious win for 4C and we are looking forward to continuing our partnership with United Biscuits, as well as helping them achieve their business goals,” said Simon Smith, Head of Outsourcing, 4C Associates. “The expansion of the scope of the relationship builds on the successful joint work we have completed during 2009 in spite of the challenging economic climate. Furthermore, the contract increases our portfolio of spend under management, which will benefit all our clients going forward.”
About United Biscuits
- UB is the leading manufacturer and marketer of biscuits in the UK and second largest in the Netherlands, France, Belgium and Ireland
- In the UK, UB is the leading manufacturer and marketer of packaged nuts and the second largest manufacturer and marketer of savoury snacks and crisps. In Ireland, UB is number two in biscuits and number three in snacks
- UB manufactures and markets a wide range of products in the UK and continental Western Europe that are household names in their respective markets. Branded products accounted for approaching 90% of sales in 2008
- Among UB’s popular brand names are McVitie’s, Penguin, go ahead!, McVitie’s Jaffa Cakes, Jacob’s, Jacob’s Cream Crackers, Twiglets, Hula Hoops, Skips, Mini Cheddars, McCoy’s, Phileas Fogg and KP Nuts in the U.K. and BN, Delacre, Verkade and Sultana in Continental Europe
- McVitie’s is among the best known brands in the UK UB’s branded biscuits were purchased by 96% of UK households in 2008.
- UB owns and operates 15 manufacturing facilities of which 11 are in the UK
- UB employs around 8,500 people of whom approximately 7,000 work in the UK