- Multiple Grocer with a total group turnover >£55bn
- Paper sales of £1.1bn p.a in UK shops (toilet roll, kitchen towel & facial tissue)
- 3,800 UK shops in multiple formats and over 7,000 worldwide
Category sales had stagnated with promotion sales heavily relied upon to “trade” the way out of static sales. However, availability was poor with a sub-95% customer service level and the range had remained similar for many years. 4C were engaged to identify ways to increase margin performance and refresh customer proposition.
- We looked at the overall line count and used the insight from the scandata to refine the range – removing substitutable products
- The promotional plan was de-escalated to test the impact on total sales and CGM %
- CSL improved to 97% – ensuring better availability for customers improving overall sales
- SKU count at the review was reduced by 10% and one of the tertiary brands was removed without impacting choice within any needstate.
- CGM improved by +1.2% pts – significant in a category of this scale